You have attempted to cut back on using electricity but maybe there are ways to curb usage you haven’t thought of. Conservation is actually easy if this is something you would like to do. It requires a conscious effort.
Let’s take a look at 5 ways to save money on electric bills.
1. Use ceiling fans instead of an air conditioner. Fans can save you more than $600 each year. No need to replace air filters, easy to clean, and uses much less electricity.
2. Check your duct work for leaks. The older they are the more likely it leaks. When you’re in the attic observe how heated it is up there, insulate the attic. Insulation really helps cooling down the entire house. Also, consider putting in an attic fan. If you are able to scale down your attic temperature by only 10 degrees, you will be able to save up to 10% on your electric bill as well.
3. Change over to florescent light bulbs. Florescent bulbs are cooler. They give off 90% light and 10% heat. Not only that, they last up to ten times longer. Save money by buying fewer bulbs over time.
4. Paint the outside of your home a light color that reflects heat. This may cost a little money in the front end but in the long run, it will save money. Think of this as an investment because homes painted dark draw in heat up to 20% more and increases the need to cool. Installing window film likewise aids maintain the house cool but use the one that reflects heat without blocking the light.
5. Hang drying your clothes save more energy and prevents shrinking and wear and tear the dryer creates.